What I Got Up To
For such a short month, February was packed. I wrapped up my visit to Amsterdam, set up a home base in Sofia, and spent a week exploring Budapest.
Pic of the Month
My most popular photo on Instagram was this one of the Danube river bank in Budapest:
On Facebook, it was this pic of the Chain Bridge leading to St. Stephen’s Basilica:
- Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Sofia, Bulgaria
- Budapest, Hungary
- Going back to my favorite restaurant in Sofia, 33 Gastronauts
- Relaxing completely at the Gellert Spa in Budapest
- Getting pampered at the UPI Salon in Sofia (hr massage + gel manicure + pedicure + waxing = $77 USD = heaven)
- Eating all the delicious food in Budapest: goulash, savory chicken soup, stuffed cabbage, langos (fried flatbread covered in cheese and sour cream), cinammon-sugary chimney cakes (Kürtőskalács), and pastries filled with strawberry jam and cottage cheese.
- Seeing the preserved hand of St. Stephen in St. Stephen’s Basilica
- Checking out the old communist statues in Memento Park
Went to Memento Park, where the Hungarians put the Communist statues after the fall of communism. It's a trek out there, but worth it. Afterwards I went to the Terror House, the museum about Hungary's experiences under Nazism and Communism located in the actual house where communist leaders held and tortured people under interrogation. Chilling. I put more pics from my trip to Memento Park in my story.
- Cruising the Danube at Night
You know it’s a good month when the only thing that sucked was terrible internet access.
My most popular post in February was this great round-up my friends put together Explore Atlanta like a Local: 17 Things to Do in the ATL
Other February posts:
- The 18 Podcasts I Use for Travel Inspiration
- A Fabulous Hamilton Inspired New York City Weekend
- UNESCO World Heritage Site #3: The Statue of Liberty (USA)
- UNESCO World Heritage Site #42: Monticello and the University of Virginia in Charlottesville (USA)
Travels with Lucy
This month, Lucy only had to make one flight – from Amsterdam to Sofia. Since then, she’s settled into apartment life in Bulgaria nicely. I think she missed me while I was in Budapest, but I’m happy she’s gotten to really feel at home here.
February by the Numbers
- Steps: 141K
- Bottles of Bulgarian Wine: 7
- Spa Visits: 4
- Coffee Shops: 4
- Airports: 3
- Countries: 3
- H&M Visits: 3
- Ikea Visits: 3
- Beds: 3
- UNESCO World Heritage Sites: 2
- Mexican Restaurants: 1
I got lazy keeping track of my expenses this month (back to it next month).
My Favorite Pic
Grabbing this photo at the perfect moment on Valentine’s day was awesome.
This month I have a quick trip to Macedonia planned, then I’m spending two weeks in Israel and Jordan. I’ve also got a few Bulgarian adventures in the works, including a day trip to Plovdiv this weekend.
You can check out earlier month’s adventure and expenses here.